5th September 2019
Ennis Chamber leads new Festival for Ennis
There’s a new festival in town, it’s the Clare Food & Drink Fleadh which takes place from September 26 to 29, bringing with it plenty of fun and gastronomic good times.
Supported by Failte Ireland as part of its ‘Taste the Island’ initiative, Clare Food & Drink Fleadh will showcase the best of the Banner’s bounty – the amazing food sourced, grown and produced sustainably across the county, as well as the award-winning craft beers and whiskeys brewed and distilled in Clare.
While the majority of the programme of events take place in Ennis, there is a satellite programme of events showcasing the fantastic artisan makers based in every corner of the county.
See here for full list of events: https://clarefooddrinkfleadh.ie/all-events/
Ennis Chamber has played a pivotal role in driving this new initiative which combines food and drink with music, and it even manages to involve the retail sector through the ‘Eat my Shop Food Trail’!
Said Margaret O’Brien, CEO Ennis Chamber, who has programmed the inaugural Clare Food & Drink Fleadh, “This festival has come together very quickly. Having applied for Failte Ireland funding under its Taste the Island initiative only three months ago, we found out in late July that we were chosen as one of a select few events across the island of Ireland to receive the backing of Taste the Island to the tune of €5,000 grant. We also benefit from the incredible national advertsing ‘Taste the Island’ campaign currently on TV and radio.
We also raised funds through Clare Tourism and Ennis Municipal District and have managed to attract top quality sponsors including; Shannon Group, AIB, Bank of Ireland, Kontour Kitchens and Acrux Distributors, plus phenomenal support from Ennis Chamber and its members, especially those involved in the food, drink, entertainment and hospitality sectors. We have also been very fortunate to enlist the support of a talented, energetic and enthusiastic voluntary committee.”
Highlights of Clare Food & Drink Fleadh include:
- ‘Small Plates’promotion across the weekend, with a dozen Ennis restaurants, cafés and bistros participating
- Launch of a bespoke Festival gin called GINIS (pronounced GIN –ISH!) A very limited quantity (collector’s item) of this excellent gin can be ordered and purchased from Fawl’s Off-Licence from Monday, September 23
- ‘Taste of Clare Feast’, featuring a 6-course taster menu produced by the culinary team at the Old Ground Hotel, to include dessert course by guest chef Frank Landy of Sweet n Green, finishing with a Clare cheeseboard, at the Old Ground hotel (Sept 26)
- Community Harvest Lunch, 1:00pm @ glór, featuring fruit, vegetables and edible flowers grown by participants of Ennis Chamber CE Scheme at poly-tunnels in Gordon Drive, prepared by guest chef Paudie Guerin (Sept 27)
- Launch of ‘Vegan Club’ at Sweet n Green (Sept 27)
- Afterwork/Under the Limit ‘4 Oysters & 1/2 a Guinness’ @ Dan O’Connell’s (Sept 27)
- ‘Barrack Street Fiesta’ with Ennis Brass Band, on the Friday night (Sept 27)
- ‘Sing for your Supper’, fun competition at Nora Culligan’s – winner receives 3-course dinner for two with Prosecco at The Rowan Tree (Sept 27)
- Final of the Home Brew Competition at McHugh’s
- Artisan Food Market at Covered Market building (Sept 28)
- Eat My Shop– Food trail through selected retail outlets in Ennis (Sept 28)
- Junior Chef and Junior Baker competition for future food professionals or dedicated foodies aged 6 to 14. Fantastic prizes sponsored by Kontour Kitchens @ Covered Market (Sept 28)
- ‘GINIS Gin Cocktail Competition’takes place in over a dozen bars in Ennis (Sept 28, 7.30 – 9.30pm)
- Clare Food & Drink Fleadh – on Tour. Yep, it’s a bus tour! Start with a hearty traditional Irish breakfast at 9:30am, accompanied with live trad session at No.Forty One music. Hop on board the Tour Bus to Lahinch, to forage with expert Oonagh O’Dwyer. Next stop Lisdoonvarna for a masterclass at the Burren Smokehouse. Last stop, Aillwee Cave Farm Shop to sample Burren Gold cheese range. ETA of Tour Bus to Ennis is 16.00 (Sept 29)
- Bubbles Brunch & All that Jazz, at the Town Hall 12noon – 2pm (Sept 29)
- Clare Fare cooked with French Flair –Traditional Provençal fish stew, a glass or wine and live music by the Wild Antics (Sept 29)
- Ennis Whiskey Experience– the four pillars of Irish whiskey explored in four pubs, guided by whiskey experts Eric Flynn and Paul Quin …. you’ll be in safe hands! (Sept 29)
- ‘Sessions with Sides’ – across the weekend – early evening trad sessions at Knox’s, Brogan’s and Dan O’Connell’s, served with tasty, very affordable side dishes … think a large cup of slow cooked lamb stew, or black pudding with smoked applewood and chorizo crumbed balls mmmm….delicious!
- Tasty Samples available all weekend at Zest Café
- Wine Tasting at the Wine Buff on Friday and Saturday from noon.
For more information about all events follow this link: https://clarefooddrinkfleadh.ie/all-events/